Thursday 22 October 2015

Project 10 - Walking To Tilbury

When Fabrice Muamba collapsed on the pitch at White Hart Lane playing for Bolton Wanderers against Spurs in the 2012 FA Cup tie, having suffered a heart attack, his life was saved by the prompt action of the club's medical staff and a cardiologist from Barts. The lower down the football pyramid one goes, the greater the likelihood that a player suffering  a similar event  would not be able to expect the same level of care. It is a sad fact that players do die on football pitches following heart events; at the start of this season Junior Dain died after collapsing while playing for Tonbridge Angels at Whyteleafe.[1] It is also not unknown for spectators to fall ill at games; a defibrillator could save the life of a fan too.

Fabrice Muamba. Photo: mirror.co.uk

My club, Romford FC have been lucky enough to be able to call upon the expertise of Katie Thwaites and, before her, Peter Shepherd, as physios. Supporters of Romford and of Chatham Town will remember how Katie's actions helped save the life of Chatham's Corey Holder after he ruptured his spleen[2], proving the value of well trained medical staff at all levels of the game. But for all the skill that medical practitioners at football clubs may possess, their ability to save a player who has suffered a heart event is greatly enhanced if they have access to a defibrillator. Fabrice Muamba received 15 defibrillation shocks in all – two on the pitch, one in the tunnel and 12 in the ambulance, which were vital in saving his life. The British Heart Foundation state that when  someone has a cardiac arrest, defibrillation needs to be prompt because for every minute that passes without defibrillation, chances of survival are reduced by about 10%.  Research shows that giving a controlled shock within five minutes of collapse provides the best possible chance of survival if CPR has been carried out as well.



Defibrillators are becoming common in public places like shopping malls and railway stations and schools, and while many football clubs have their own defibrillator, Romford FC currently do not. One of the objectives of the club's Project 10, which was launched earlier in the season,  is to raise sufficient funds to purchase one and fund training courses. My aim is to raise as much money as possible towards those costs, which will be in the region of £1,000

To do that I am asking people to sponsor me to walk to Romford's away game at Tilbury FC on Saturday 7th November 2015. I'll be setting off from the site of Romford FC's proposed new home at Westlands in London Road, Romford to walk to Chadfields, which Google Maps informs me is about 16 miles and should take me just over five hours, taking into account alterations to route, how often I get lost and any necessary comfort breaks! All being well I hope to set off between 8 am and 8.30 am and will live Tweet my progress. You will be able to follow me at @mikewcdx, #WalkingToTilbury. With a bit of luck I'll reach Tilbury between 1.30 pm and 2 pm.



If you would like to sponsor me,  you can do so by going to https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/mike-woods

In preparation for this little jaunt, I've been getting in some practice. A few weeks ago Val and I walked from Herne Bay to Margate, which is 12.2 miles and which took four hours and three minutes. I've also walked the  elements of the course from Romford to Tilbury to work out the route and having done so, it seems that in theory at least, the time and distance that Google Maps suggests is a tiny bit awry, as this table, using statistic from the Map My Walk smartphone app, shows:

Leg
From
To
Miles
Time
1
Westlands
Roneo Corner
1.90
00:32:00
2
Roneo Corner
Chandlers Corner
4.80
01:22:00
3
Chandlers Corner
Stoneness Roundabout
5.23
01:27:00
4
Stoneness Roundabout
Chadfields
4.45
01:13:00
Total
16.38
04:34:00


This is my route.

The third leg is a bit interesting as it involves crossing the slip road for the A13, and parts of the A1090 have no pavement. That road is used by lots of HGV's, which whip by at a goodly pace, which is a bit unnerving .  It's long time since I walked 15 miles in one go, not since I did a Midland Bank sponsored walk for Guide Dogs for The Blind back in the 1980's in fact, so this isn't a task that I'm taking too lightly; completing all 16.38 miles in one go is likely to be a bit slower than doing the four sections separately.

If you can sponsor me, that would be marvellous because every pound will help towards buying a truly vital piece of equipment.  Even if you can't sponsor me, please, please share this week's blog, I don't usually ask but this is something that I care about very much and would really like to get it out to as wide an audience as possible.

Oh, and if someone can give me a lift back to Romford after the game I'd be grateful, because there is no way I am walking home!


No comments:

Post a Comment

There’s Only One F In Romford and We’re Going To Wemberlee!

At around five o’clock in the afternoon, on Saturday 6 th April, my Fitbit bleeped at me. My heart rate was apparently 131bpm and the devic...