Thursday 3 October 2013

Waste Not, Want Not

Every year 15 million tonnes of food is thrown away in the UK; about half of which is domestic food disposed of for one reason or another. Of this over a quarter is fruit or vegetables, ten percent dairy and twelve percent ready meals. In the US, 40% of all food is thrown out because it has passed its due date.[1]

Speaks for itself, doesn't it? Photo: freshproduce.org.uk
  
Why is so much food wasted? Why is so much food thrown away uneaten, or even unopened? There are a whole variety of reasons and there is no single solution, but one reason may be our confusion over the variety of dates on packaging; Best before, Use by, Display until and Sell by.

Use by dates are normally only on foods that will deteriorate quickly; fresh items like prepared salads, fish and meat, that is to say foods that may be harmful if eaten after the specified date, whereas Best before dates denote that after that date the quality of the food may be impaired although it will still normally be safe to eat. This may apply to tinned foods in particular. Display until and Sell by dates are instructions for retailers rather than indicators to buyers. We have developed such a paranoia about food labelling that as soon as any of these dates have been passed we may feel it best to err on the side of caution and throw the food out rather than take a chance, but food labelling cannot be an exact science; food doesn’t go off immediately the use by date is passed. A piece of meat is not like a library book; it doesn’t expire exactly when the date on the packet says it will; there is no internal clock in  a chop that says that at 11.59 on Thursday the meat is safe to eat but at 00.01 on Friday it is not.

I am not suggesting that use by dates be ignored but just as you wouldn’t eat an obviously rancid piece of meat that had a use by date of tomorrow, why throw out that perfectly edible steak that has a use by date of yesterday? Our old friend common sense has a large part to play in deciding whether or not food is safe to eat.

One of the dilemmas that I have, and I’m sure I am not alone in this, is that I may buy something like some vacuum packed, sliced ham that has a use by date on it, open the pack, use some and place the rest in a Tupperware container in the fridge. When I next go to use it I have no idea what the use by date was, so the thought process may go like this: “Hmm, how long has this been here? No idea, could be a few days, I wonder if it’s OK?” I am certain that in many households this results in perfectly good food being thrown away because of the fear that it is off. I am as guilty as anyone of doing so occasionally, but most times I eat it anyway (unless it is obviously unfit to eat), so far (touch wood) without any dire consequences.

I am old enough to remember the days when food did not come with use by or sell by dates. My parents’ generation used their experience and common sense to decide if food was fit to eat, but then again my parents shopped in a totally different way to how we do today. When I was very young my mother had a fridge with a tiny icebox, large enough to store a packet of frozen peas and little more. We did not have a freezer. By and large my mother would shop almost every day; nowadays most families go to a supermarket once a week and buy in bulk. Now that I am retired I have largely abandoned the weekly shop, except for bulkier items like toilet rolls, kitchen towels, bottled water and the like, and instead buy meat, potatoes, milk and vegetables on a daily basis, or as needed.

The weekly shop is in my view another key reason for food waste. When I shop at my local supermarket I see people with trolleys laden with food enough to feed the five thousand. A lot of this will go into the freezer I suppose, but even then how often do people look in their freezer and realise that those chicken breasts have been there six months? Are they safe to eat, or should we throw them out? Better not take the chance, so out they go.

Supermarkets themselves have to shoulder a significant portion of the blame as well. Buy one, get one free (BOGOF), or half price offers are so enticing that it is easy to buy more food than we really need. I have occasionally bought fruit and been told at the checkout, “Oh, they are on special offer, buy one get one free,” to which I often reply that yes, that may be so but I can only realistically eat the one portion I have picked up before they go off so the other pack, if I bought it, would simply rot and be thrown out. Enticed by the prospect of something for nothing, I have, in the past bought food which I could not eat in time and sadly thrown it away. I am sure I am not alone. Mind you, buying in bulk, or buying larger packs is not necessarily cheaper anyway, as I found buying teabags recently. Per bag, a pack of 80 was more expensive than a pack of 40, so why buy the larger box?

Supermarkets assail shoppers with "cheap" offers, Photo: Daily Telegraph


Then there are packet or portion sizes. We don’t eat vast amounts of bread in our household, and as I have written before, my gluten intolerance means that I do not eat ordinary bread anyway, but the size of loaves of bread and packets of rolls commonly sold in supermarkets means that in the normal course of events much of it would go stale or mouldy unless I freeze at least half of what I buy as soon as I get home. Nonetheless I often find myself having to throw out the last few slices from a loaf.

With the busy lives that so many people lead these days, the temptation to do one vast weekly shop is great. Who, when they have been at work all day, wants to do food shopping on their way home if they don’t have to? But the weekly shop is the greatest cause of food waste in this country in my view, because it encourages overbuying, which leads to food sitting in the fridge unregarded until the use by date has expired. The BOGOF deals, the supersized packets and the fact that supermarket shopping inevitably leads to impulse purchases. Buying things because they look enticing rather than because they are really needed has the effect of shoppers coming home with food that they realistically have little chance of eating before it becomes inedible. This, coupled with the tyranny of the use by date, inevitably leads to food waste, or the consumption of food we don’t really need to eat simply to avoid it being wasted. Perhaps this is a factor in the increase in the number of people who are defined as clinically obese and, because of the nature of the foodstuffs that are being over consumed, the rise in diabetes.

I am lucky in that I have more time to shop these days and so do so more regularly; I am more likely just to buy what I need for the day or the next couple of days. As a result I find that I throw out far less food than I did a year ago, but even for those who by necessity must shop less regularly, a critical examination of what is in your trolley would go a long way to reducing the amount of food we waste every year. After all, does that BOGOF offer save you any money, or benefit you in any way if you just throw the second pack away uneaten?



[1] In Boston, Mass., The Daily Table, a hybrid food store and restaurant, will now only sell food that has passed its sell by date. See http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/359261. Also, see the BBC website, “Five expired foods you can still eat” at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-24305902

No comments:

Post a Comment

There’s Only One F In Romford and We’re Going To Wemberlee!

At around five o’clock in the afternoon, on Saturday 6 th April, my Fitbit bleeped at me. My heart rate was apparently 131bpm and the devic...